Friday, July 1, 2011

The greatest radio station ever



Ladies and gentlemen, the genius of John Prine:



I first heard this song on an indie radio station around 1995 before corporate radio took over. I was transfixed and had to buy the album immediately. The tune is catchy as hell, and the lyrics are sublime. You can read it as a celebration of live-and-let-live libertarianism, which I did and do, and the video suggests he means to take it even further as a celebration of victimless vices.

I've lived many lives and been many people since then, but hearing that song today is like hearing it for the first time.

Anybody remember that radio station? I think it was out of Carlsbad or thereabouts, and it was something like 95.9 or 95.7. Only the good radio stations die young.

3 comments:

  1. JJ Cale Meets David Lynch. I never heard this song before, but you are right; instant hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WC
    I remember that station. I thought it was from either MiraCosta or Palomar College.

    Everything was better before the corporations took over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerome $tock$ said it had to go - it's the LAW!

    ReplyDelete