Saturday, September 11, 2010

Union-Trib: Dirty Dan pressured Encinitas businesspeople to bank with California Community Bank

Small town corruption:
“When you’re brokering business relationships, it creates an awkwardness,” said Encinitas attorney Marco Gonzalez, who passed on Dalager’s invitation to bank with his client. “To me, an elected official has to avoid the appearance of impropriety. The citizens depend on it.”

Former Encinitas planning commissioner Bruce Ehlers didn’t appreciate being solicited by an elected official either.

“I don’t pressure that easily, so I guess I didn’t feel overly intimidated,” he said. “But I thought it was a bit inappropriate that the council member was going around drumming up business.”

Isn't it obvious on its face that having an elected leader with significant influence over city budgets and development approvals should not be earning commissions from steering people toward a certain bank?

No comments:

Post a Comment