Saturday, May 12, 2012

Varones Voters Guide to the California Primary

Here are my thoughts on state and local candidates and issues. The new "open primary" is kinda screwy. It applies to everything except the Presidential race.

Republican nominee for President: Ron Paul. To vote for RP, you need to register Republican by May 21. You can get a form here or at the post office. I believe everyone should do so, as Ron Paul is a clear alternative to the corrupt, crony capitalist, bankster-owned, war-mongering, civil-liberties-killing mainstream Democrats and Republicans. Democrats, Libertarians, and independents get no choice (other than writing in Mickey Mouse), and the primaries for all other positions are open, so there's no reason not to register Republican. You can re-register Dem or no party immediately after the election.

Senator: Gail Lightfoot. Unfortunately, we won't have a choice for Senator as no serious candidate is challenging uber-establishment career politician, 1%-er, and authoritarian Dianne Feinstein. Orly Taitz is the only other name I recognized among the twenty-something on the ballot. She's a Tea Partier but an obsessive Obama birther who has zero chance. Give Gail Lightfoot, retired nurse and Libertarian, your protest vote.

Congress: Darrell Issa owns this district, and none of the other candidates appear to be mounting a serious campaign. Take your pick.

State Assembly: Sherry Hodges is the GOP establishment pick, and a lock to win. Take Rocky Chavez or Farrah Douglas as a protest.

Board of Supervisors: Dave Roberts. Steve Danon is Brian Bilbray's chief of staff, a creature of the GOP machine, and a real brown-nosing weasel. Dave Roberts is the deputy mayor of Solana Beach, a pension-reforming Democrat.

Prop 28: No. This is a sham term-limit initiative written by legislators to weaken the term limits passed by voters. California voters will probably fall for it.

Prop 29: No. Another $1 a pack tax on cigarettes. Taxes are already so high on cigarettes that people are buying in bulk out of state or on the black market. No more taxes until the state addresses the real fiscal problem: pensions.

17 comments:

  1. Fascinating all these new Encinitas blogs which don't permit comments nor is there any supposed leader of the blog. No One will to fess up to the editorial content....Cowards!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In their (and my) defense, the United States has a long and proud history of anonymous and pseudonymous speech.

      As for not allowing comments, people have different tolerance levels for rude discourse. I'm a free speech absolutist, so I let them fly, but others prefer to control the message.

      Delete
    2. Andreen the Horrible is who 3:28 refers to.

      Delete
    3. And you are?

      Delete
    4. I am a man of constant sorrow. I've seen trouble all my days.

      Delete
  2. "Andreen the Horrible". Oh please. Andreen has no power. If he did, he'd be doing more than stalking meetings. Those in charge offer him about the same respect as they did Nanninga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andreen caused the city and Leucadia to have an additional workshop and an additional streetscape option when he used his extensive email list that he acquired prior to his forced exit from CofC, to scare people. Same with the general plan. Is he a tool of Stocks. I think, yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong...he is a tool, indeed.

      Delete
  4. I pretty much am following City Beat's recommendations. If I could, I'd vote for Filner for SD mayor, but I can't. I plan to vote for Dick Eiden for Congress, Rocky Chavez for State Assembly, I'll be voting for Terrie Roberts, George Schaefer for Superior Court Judges, and maybe Garland Peed, might not vote for any judge in that contest.

    I do endorse term limits, unlike City Beat, though; I'll be voting no on Prop 28 and on the additional cigarette tax proposed thru Prop 29.

    I'll probably get some flack for this, but although I do like a lot about Ron Paul, I don't trust that he wouldn't do away with the EPA and healthcare reform; I feel we should have a single care provider, which could be supplemented by private insurance. Anyway, despite a lot of disappointment in many of his decisions, I will vote for Obama, over Romney. Ron Paul could be a spoiler, particularly because a lot of people wish we could par down the military, and get out of Afghanistan, ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forgot Judge Smails, he's no slouch.

      Delete
  5. Anon 8:36- If you want out of Afghanistan why are you voting for Obama?? He's put an extra 30,000 troops in that fucking country and he's a war monger. I love what Saul Alinsky said recently,if Bush didn't like you he water boarded you, if Obama doesn't like you he kills you....lololol. Even the left is fed up with Obama the war monger. Soon we'll have troops in Yemen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget Libya where Obama bombed civilians to install a radical Islamist Muslim Brotherhood regime, and Syria which is up next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you forgetting our war mongering commander in chief won the Nobel peace prize???

      Delete
  7. Least 2 comments...
    Just silly, biased and not true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry, I confused Saul Alinsky with Noam Chomsky. I get my ...sky's mixed up.
    Noam Chomsky said," When obama administration decides they don't like somebody, they kill them."

    ReplyDelete