Thursday, October 15, 2015

Election season starts

The election is more than a year away, but it's never too early for Encinitas politicos.

As we predicted, Catherine Blakespear has picked up the papers to file for mayor. And new Planning Commissioner Tasha Boerner Horvath has filed for city council.

And here come the robocalls! This one's reminiscent of last year's Barnyard robocall.

From the Inbox, here's a rough transcription of the latest robocall making the rounds:
Hey Encinitas, wake up! Three members of our City Council want to rezone our neighborhoods to allow chickens, goats, and bee hives in our backyards, and then allow them to sell their products outside in front of their homes. CLASSY! Tell Council members Kranz, Shaffer and Blakespear that we don't want the smells of barnyard animals in our nice upscale town we worked so hard to afford. Tell Council members Kranz, Shaffer and Blakespear that we don't want pigs, chickens, goats farms and beehives next to our homes. (Barnyard animal noises). "Hey, get those bees out out of here!"

11 comments:

  1. Good grief. A year until the elections and already Mikey and company are out in full force. I received the same voicemail. Loved the barnyard animals crowing in the background. The ordinance does not say we can have roosters so I think I rooster in the background is a little over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where'd the pigs come from? Haven't heard that one before.

    The robocall number showed NorCal. Wanna take bets on whether Gaspar's new "leadership council" helped fund this embarrassing excuse for a campaign message?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I detest robo calls this one does drive home a point. Why on earth would Kranz, Shaffer and Blakespear promote this "smelly" idea? I've worked hard to maintain a house here and I don't want to come home to the sweet fragrance of a neighbors "back 40."

      Delete
    2. I got the robo call, too. It sounded similar or the same as the one I got before the 2014 election.

      The marketers here are trying to manipulate with fear. This ordinance will not result in our city becoming smelly.

      What I smell is a rat!

      Delete
  3. I got the same thing yesterday, too. I've got news for whomever sent this out...downtown ENCI is anything but upscale. I cannot even use the ATM at the 7-11 on D St. any longer because there'a always a shady looking character checking you out through the window of the store, trying to see how much money you are withdrawing, then you get approached in the parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Scaley. Scummie and Scrungie - emissaries of the area.

      Delete
  4. I thought they couldn't rezone without it going to a vote, as per Prop.A. What am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assuming you're referring to ag use, first off, animal types do not determine zoning Prop A does not apply to down zoning.

      Delete
    2. 12:57 Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that in a residential area that agriculture is OK? I thought it was zoned differently but I really don't know.

      Delete
  5. The city has proposed a new Urban Agricultural ordinance that would allow certain kinds of agricultural activities throughout the city. I don't think it's been approved by the Planning Commission yet. The PC asked for more details from the city staff. It's not a zoning change, so a Prop. A vote is not required.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been waking up to the smell of steaming BS in my neighborhood every day now for over 3 years now, what's the difference?

    ReplyDelete